10.01.2011

Welcome to Vegan MoFo! Saturday Snack: Cool Fruits

Welcome to the first day of Vegan MoFo, also known as the Vegan Month of Food, where bloggers are encouraged to post as much vegan food as often as they can! I'm trying for every day this month, even though my October is pretty booked, as I'll be getting married AND going on my honeymoon!

Some bloggers take on a particular theme for VeganMoFo, but I was worried I wouldn't have time to stick to one theme, so instead, I'll stick to a couple structured days, like I did last year with "How to Replace Nightshade Fridays" and "Weekend Brunch" posts. This year, weekends will feature Saturday Snacks and Sunday Brunch posts!

It's Saturday, and that means Saturday Snacks! Anyone who knows me knows that I am a snacker. I get hungry every 3-4 hours throughout the day, and have always been that way, and when I get hungry... well, you wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.
Only known photo of a HungrySarahMonster
To prevent myself from turning into the above HungrySarahMonster, I have snacks with me at almost any given moment. My usual morning snack is fruit. But pictures of fruit are boring, right?

Especially apples, right?

BUT WAIT.
Do you see this?
This is a Pink Pearl Apple. Its peel is yellow and its flesh is PINK. I first saw them on the Kitchn blog and thought they were weird, but then our co-op started to carry organic ones and I had to try them for myself. They taste like normal apples. They are a bit tart and sort of mealy.

Another interesting fruit I picked up at our co-op was the Candy Stripe Fig. I love fresh figs, but they were hard to find around here this year, so I was excited when I saw these. They're so cute, too!
The fiance and I wanted a more substantial afternoon snack, so in addition to the figs we had bread and some leftover daiya, because figs, bread, and cheese sounded like a very sophisticated snack.
That's all for today's Saturday Snack. Stay tuned for more VeganMoFo posts throughout the month!

2 comments:

sara said... Best Blogger Tips

what cute little pink apples. i've never seen those before.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Never heard of Pink Pearl Apples. Very cool!