9.23.2013

beets!

Recently, we'e been getting beets fairly often in our CSA share. At first, this was awesome! I love beets! And their greens! So healthy! And then around week 4 or 5 I got tired of beets. I just don't know enough different dishes for beets, I thought.

And then I started looking through photos I've taken of past meals. It turns out I have used beets in a lot of different ways. Here, for my future benefit and yours, are some of the ways I like beets the best:

Roasting is far and away my favorite way to cook beets. You wrap them in foil and back for about 40 minutes, and then the skin slides right off and they have all this amazing flavor. So here are some sliced roasted beets, drizzled with balsamic vinegar, with a raw kale salad.
 ...and of course Bac'Uns, because Kevin loves imitation bacon bits.

I've also made a really simple beet gratin by slicing beets and cooking them with herbs and lots of daiya cheese.
 But where it's really at for me with slicing and roasting beets: making free-form beet "ravioli." A lot of raw foods restaurants use thinly-sliced raw beets as the material between which to sandwich some tasty herbed nut cheese, but I like it best with roasted sliced beets.
 Above, nut-cheese-stuffed beets with an almond cream sauce; below, a very similar dish but totally smothered in a garlicky cashew cream.
 Cooking beets in stovetop dishes takes about the same amount of time, but usually doesn't lock in as much flavor as roasting, so I tend not to do that as much unless the other flavors are very strong. Here is a dish Kevin made, with the beets cooked in a mustard tahini sauce.
 And below, a beets with curried lentils.
 I've also really enjoyed a recipe from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian that involves cooking beets with black beens (and greens, but I think I added those myself).
 After the ingredients cook, you add cilantro and chopped oranges. The flavors worked really well with the beets; I didn't expect it!
And finally, a beet risotto-type dish, with chickpeas and tahini sauce.
I am such a fan of including beets in dishes! Hopefully with this compilation to refer back to, I won't ever again think "I don't know what to do with beets."

8 comments:

Randi (laughfrodisiac) said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh wow, I never thought of making my own free form beet ravioli, even though I love it in raw restaurants. Like you, I'd probably roast my beets though. It all looks great. Another great dish to use if you still have beet overflow is the Scarlet Barley from Appetite for Reduction. I'll give you the recipe if you don't have it!

Imogen Michel said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow! What a lot of beautiful beet creations :)

Sarah P said... Best Blogger Tips

@Randi (laughfrodisiac) That sounds awesome! I have that book, I've just never made the recipe--now I'll have to!

EeMia said... Best Blogger Tips

I want to follow your blog but I can't seem to figure out how to. The usual "follow" link is not showing up on my computer.

Psychiatrists in Chennai said... Best Blogger Tips

I like your post very much , i like to read this article

Aya Katz said... Best Blogger Tips

These are some awesome uses for beets!

Chemical Market Intelligence said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for sharing wonderful information.

Past Life Regression Therapy said... Best Blogger Tips

This is really nice topic, which is very useful for me.