10.31.2012

halloween pumpkins, and goodbye VeganMofo!

Happy Halloween! This is one of my favorite holidays. Kevin and I carved pumpkins earlier this week so we could put them on the porch in the hopes of luring trick or treaters! (Since we moved this summer, we're not sure how many trick or treaters we're likely to get.)
Kevin's is on the left; mine is the cat on the right.

After we finished carving, Kevin roasted the seeds. I've tried this in the past and not had the best luck--the shells always stay too chewy. His recipe involves boiling the seeds first, which softens the shells.
 
They're really crunchy and tasty, without being too chewy. I was finishing up my pumpkin when he was making them, so I'm not sure what seasonings are on there; onion powder, cumin, and salt, maybe?

Finally, though this soup wasn't made from the pumpkins above, just last week we had a pumpkin soup that I made from a pie pumpkin we got in our CSA.
I added pea tendrils just after it finished cooking, which are another veggie we'd gotten in our CSA. I'd never cooked with pea tendrils before, but they were good! Served with some nutritional-yeasty bread and roasted chickpeas.

With this entry, we close out VeganMofo, the Vegan Month of Food. I hope you've enjoyed it! And have a great Halloween!

4 comments:

Glue and Glitter said... Best Blogger Tips

Those pumpkins are adorable - nice work! I love greens in a creamy soup. We haven't gotten any pea shoots from our CSA lately, and I miss them!

Custom Lapel Pins said... Best Blogger Tips

Individuals pumpkins tend to be adorable * good perform! I love greens within a foamy soup.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Check this out:

Real time Yahoo Messenger status on your blog:

just click to see: http://wik.ro/39h

pramod said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice Blog
Wonderful post, really great tips and advice. I was interested by your comment,

Last Minute Flights to South Africa