11.05.2007

a blog by any other name...

When I told my mother my blog title, she told me not everyone speaks French, so not everyone will get it. She said I ought to explain it. I dismissed this idea because I dismiss a lot of my mother's ideas before realizing she's right. (Don't tell her I said so.) But recently a couple people have asked me about it, and stumbled over trying to pronounce it because - surprise - not everyone speaks French. So:

The French word for vegetarian is vegetarien.* The french word for Vegan is Vegetalien.* I love lions. And so - Vegetalion.* It's a subtle difference in pronunciation, making my username a play on words. It's cute, really. I swear.

and because I wanted to relate this post somehow to food, a marinated-then-baked tofu, kale, and roasted sweet potato meal roomie Michele and I made last week:
mmm

*- there are actually accents above the Es in these words, but I don't know eough html to insert accents.

4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said... Best Blogger Tips

ahh, how fun!! thank you for explaining the meaning of your blog name - it DOES make more sense now :0)

the tofu, kale (my favorite leafy green!) and sweet-potato make for a lovely meal - yum!! :0)

Vegan_Noodle said... Best Blogger Tips

That is so cute and creative! Glad you posted the background, because I never would have guessed that!
So, why isn't the blog name Feed the [Vegan] Lion? Mayeb that's too repetitive...

Sarah P said... Best Blogger Tips

so I guess my mom was right (that happens too often...). Bears are my FAVORITEST animal (followed closely by lions), and "bear" is my family's nickname for me... hence all the bear-stuff

jd said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi! Great blog (& I hope you're feeling better, by the way).

Also, the same thing happened to me regarding the name of my blog ("Veggie Terrain"). My mom was like: "Did you misspell 'vegetarian' or something?"

So, I added a little explanation about it to my page a while back. I guess great mom's think alike! LOL!