3.21.2008

going green

In honor of St Patrick's Day and Spring occuring in the same week, I present a spread of green food!

My first homage to my favorite color is this lovely little kohlrabi. I have often passed kohlrabi in the produce department, thinking, I will use you someday when I know how to use you, kohlrabi. Then one day I decided I might as well just try it, because that someday would never come.
I brought him home, peeled him, chopped up him and his greens, and boiled them in a tiny amount of water (I think of this as being like steaming, but with fewer dishes to wash afterwards) until tender, and topped him with a mixture of dijon mustard, black pepper, and olive oil.
Results: Delicious! I thought it tasted like cauliflower, maybe a little sweeter. Kohlrabi = success!

Sauces with mustard, in them, by the way, are my new favorite way to top anything. Like Kale and peas (and some corn):
This mustard sauce was mustard, lemon juice, black pepper and olive oil.

And this yummy-yet-unphotogenic salad was all green!
Ingredients: 1 Green Apple (shredded), a lot of spinach, 1 Tbsp Pepitas, 1 Tbsp lime juice, 1 tsp olive oil.

Finally, forget the years of abstaining from animal products: I think what REALLY makes me a vegan is that I made this smoothie one day for breakfast and loved it.
Ingredients: 2 big fat kale leaves, 1 over-ripe banana and a handful of frozen mango chunks.

Look, even my smoothie's contemplating going outside to the lovely (though chilly) spring weather...
I'm breaking down and getting a new computer in the next week or two, folks, so expect more from me soon!

10 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said... Best Blogger Tips

Love all the green!! I've never tried kohlrabi, not even sure I've seen it in the produce section (but I'll admit I've never looked for it). Maybe someday I"ll work up the courage.
And yes, a green smoothie like that makes you a level 5 vegan for sure!
Yay for a new computer!

Judy said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, I am loving the green theme. I am so inspired to eat healthy now, thanks!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said... Best Blogger Tips

yay, a new computer! that'll be a relief, eh? and I love mustard SO much, sometimes I'll just dip my vegetables right in the jar of dijon... green beans are especially good! I'll have to try with kohlrabi.

Ruby Red said... Best Blogger Tips

You are so awesome! I love your green St. Patty's post, and your courage for working with the mystery vegetable, Mr. Kohlrabi. I love cauliflower, so sounds like kohlrabi is a yummy little veggie.

I like your smoothie combo, mango and banana are yummy together. And kale never hurts anything because it just rocks!

shaun.marie said... Best Blogger Tips

mmm that smoothie totally appeals to me.
i need to get a new computer too. it will make this blogging business much easier.
and to reply to your comment from ages ago, we should totally go to that place in beverly - i've been meaning to for a while!

Rural Vegan said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh, kohlrabis are possibly my favorite vegetable of all time. My grandfather grew them and as a kid, I would pull them out of the ground and eat them on the spot! I've never cooked them though, just peel and slice, so good!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said... Best Blogger Tips

Yay for green food!

jd said... Best Blogger Tips

Yay! Green is my favorite color, & this post definitely helps keep it that way :)

I love your kohlrabi adventures. I've never cooked with it at all - I actually used to eat it raw out of our garden when I was little... but I like how you improvised with it. Very cool, I'll have to try that sometime!

By the way, that smoothie of yours looks awesome, too. And I can't blame him for wanting to sneak out the window into the Spring air. Hmmm... I wonder if he saw Mr. Apple Chowder walk by! Maybe Smoothie & Chowder are breakfast-buddies. LOL!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

hi!kohlrabi??...it's the most strange vegetable I have seen!!I want it!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

ha I love the smoothie that wants to go outside! I was unaware of this veggie but it sounds really good!

-Ginny